January 12, 2012

The Up-Cycled Necklace

Hey!  Happy 2012!  For my first blog post of the new year, I'll show you how I created a necklace out of pretty much nothing, as inspired by this post at Bromeliad.  You could go out and buy materials, but my challenge to you is to use items that you already have kicking around your crafting collection, jewellery box or sewing stash.


Gather up some pretty things.


My materials include a long, vintage pearl necklace (clasp was missing), a glitzy button and a satin sash from an old bathrobe.  You might also want to use earrings, flower pins, ribbon, etc etc etc.   Be sure to get out your glue gun!


Since my pearl necklace is reeeeeally long, I folded it in half twice.


I tied a tight knot with the sash at one end and secured it with a bit of glue.


At the other end of the pearls, I made a big bow.  I tried my necklace on before I glued this end to make sure it was the length I wanted....just a tip :)


Glue the button onto the plain old knot and...


...wear!

I've gone full-on, knit-crazy the past 2 weeks.  But, I can't show you what I've been up to...mostly because the 3 projects I've been working on aren't finished yet.  I'll buy some time by showing you what I made for Christmas gifts over the next few posts.  Ciao!

No comments: