January 16, 2012

Homemade Beauty Products

Like most women, I love bath and beauty products.  So this year for Christmas, I decided to make some to give as gifts.

I'll start off with the project that gave me the most amounts of quieted, internal hissy fits.  The bath fizzy.


Martha's directions seemed simple enough.  But heavens-to-Betsy,  I severely underestimated these little fizzies.  You have to be sure not to add too many water spritzes, or else you'll have your fizzies bubbling out of the mold like I did.  I wish I had a photo of my failure.  In hindsight, it was quite humorous.


My third attempt (I made one batch and divided it into thirds to make different colours) turned out pretty well.  They were a little on the dry side, so they crumbled a bit.  Whatever....they still worked!  Give them a go, but just be patient and try small batches until you get the hang of it.

I found a recipe for bath salts at Canadian Living.com.  It was a very easy project, and I'm not sure why I didn't photograph it.


I scented my salts with lemon essential oil and added some lavender buds.  Yummers.

Last but not least...my favourite.  It's SO GOOD.  But only make and use it if you enjoy smelling cookies.  Because you will end up smelling like a cookie.  Which, in my opinion, is friggin' fantastic.


This vanilla brown sugar scrub can be used on your hands or on every last inch of skin.  The ingredients are probably sitting in your cupboard or pantry right now.  So go make it!!


I really like it because it exfoliates AND moisturizes.  And you could eat it.  Bonus.  The only thing I would recommend is to keep it in the fridge and use it quickly.  If you leave it sitting out, you'll have to be very careful not to let water sit in it as it could grow...stuff.  Bacteria kind of stuff.  Yeah.  Ewwww.

This scrub is a close second to the one that I like to buy from a little made-on-location soap boutique in Peterborough called Simple.  Their vanilla bean body scrub smells like candy.  And don't even get me started on how delicious their bath fizzies are....

I should also mention that the ingredients for all of these projects were mostly purchased at a bulk food store.  Citric acid (used for the fizzies) was not available 'in bulk' and thus was a little bit more expensive. 

Have a happy Monday!

No comments: